One on One With Designer Rebecca Taylor
April 26, 2011 at 8:50 am
Maybe it’s the subtle scent of spring in the air, or the vivid yellow daffodils peppered throughout Newport, or perhaps it’s the anticipation of a fresh-faced bride about to walk down the aisle with the eyes of the world on her, but there’s an ode to feminine dressing that’s palpable of late. I’ve always admired designer Rebecca Taylor’s take on creating for the female form—she always seems to fuse a hip, unexpected twist into each carefully crafted piece; this California girl meets disco diva vibe. I caught up with the designer, asking five simple questions to find out her take on the much-loved line.
1. How would you describe the Rebecca Taylor aesthetic? The Rebecca Taylor aesthetic is modern, feminine and flirty. It’s pretty but with a downtown cool. It’s perfect balance between urban and glamour.
2. What inspires your design in general, and what is the inspiration behind your Spring/Summer 2011 collection? I am inspired by books, movies, art, people on the street … There are many things that inspire me on a daily basis. This spring, I really started off with a girl in my mind. She’s the 70’s Charlie perfume girl. It’s everything that’s great about classic American Sportswear. Neat high-wasted pants, mirrored color evening gowns, and sheer pleated skirts. I’m in love with clean, fresh and modern.
3. Rebecca Taylor is well known for feminine silhouettes, bright colors, rich prints—pieces that make women look beautiful. Would you describe your work as a celebration of the female form? I design clothes that are wearable. I want women to feel confident and beautiful when they wear Rebecca Taylor.
4. What can we find you wearing on a comfortable, relaxed Saturday afternoon? My Italian army pants, our striped tee and our glitter ballet flats … for a bit of sparkle!
5. Finally, have you ever been to Newport? I have never been to Rhode Island, but I have heard Newport is a beautiful beach town. I will have to get there one of these days…
For shops that carry Rebecca Taylor near you, click here.
Entry filed under: Uncategorized. Tags: 70s fashion, California girl meets disco diva vibe, designer Rebecca Taylor, disco fashoin, glitter ballet flats, high-wasted pants, mirrored color evening gowns, Newport, Newport ri, Newport ri dresses, newport ri fashion, Rebecca Taylor, Rebecca Taylor accessories, Rebecca Taylor bottoms, Rebecca Taylor dresses, Rebecca Taylor jackets, Rebecca Taylor Outerwear, Rebecca Taylor S/S 2011, Rebecca Taylor shoes, Rebecca Taylor spring summer 2011, Rebecca Taylor sweaters, sheer pleated skirts.