I’m With the Band…

October 17, 2013 at 8:22 am 9 comments

20131018-080738Let’s just say when it comes to my crafting skills, Martha Stewart isn’t losing any sleep. In other words, I hit up a Michael’s just 2-3 times a year, and from time to time I whip out the glue gun, but I’m not launching an Esty site any time soon. That being said, every now and then I run across something in a store and think, ‘I can do that.’
This year I developed an addiction for Emi-Jay and Twistband hair ties, the soft elastics that are known for not damaging your locks, preventing the dreaded ‘hair dent,’ and the fun, funky patterns they come in (actually got my first Twistband in a Birchbox— love it!). I even 20131018-080748wrote about them here.
I bought a whole bunch of these bands at the Pink Pineapple this summer and even though they were a good deal, I knew I could make them for significantly less, so I started seeking out elastic suppliers. I discovered Sunshine Shoppe Supply (sunshineshoppesupply.com) online. Holy Toledo– they have so many great elastic patterns from chevrons to solids to seasonal prints. I reached out to the company’s owner because I know Newport Stylephile readers would love this DIY project! I mean, if I can make these hair ties, anyone can. The size you’ll want for hairties or headbands is 5/8″ elastic. That’s right–you can also use the elastic to make comfy headbands that are especially great for running and working out. I had seen a how to make hair ties tutorial on YouTube, so I got the basics down, but once the package arrived and I opened it to find all these fabulous patterns I got started right away-measuring be damned! I totally eyeballed the length needed for each band (and ended up using the card the elastics were spooled around as my measuring tool to make the size consistent). OMG it’s easy, and it’s just a fraction of the price compared to what you’d find in stores. If you like a nice soft pony without dents or if your kid does, these are perfect, plus it’s a fun crafting project that requires no glue guns and basically no tools– just a pair scissors. Click the Sunshine Shoppe Supply image below and you’ll be redirected to the site where you can see the seemingly endless accessory projects you can make! AND, A SPECIAL OFFER FOR NEWPORT STYLEPHILE READERS! ENTER NEWPORT10 for 10% off YOUR PURCHASES (You can also follow Sunshine Shoppe on Facebook by clicking here.)

GIVEAWAY: I’ll be giving away TWO SETS of 6 BANDS in the patterns seen below, plus a special “fall” themed band. To enter, simply leave a comment below AND include a way to reach you should you win (email, Twitter handle, etc.). Entry open today through 11:59pm on Sat. Oct. 26th. GOOD LUCK!

20131018-080800splash

*Disclosure: I was provided complimentary products to independently review this company. All opinions are my own.

Entry filed under: Uncategorized.

Love-Love! Charmed by Charity Event Tonight to Benefit Newport’s THOF Who Wants to Get Buzzed?

• 1. Sharon - MomGenerations.com  |  October 18, 2013 at 5:47 pm

I love these. Every single one of them. I can see myself and my two 12-year old fashionista granddaughters running in these… not to mention being members of the most awesome BAND around! Oh, my Twitter handle is so original – @SharonCouto !!

• 2. Andrea McHugh  |  October 25, 2013 at 9:30 am

You’re entered!

• 3. Nancy Collins  |  October 19, 2013 at 7:47 am

I’m not a runner, but I walk and workout, so I do work up a sweat. I love all of these. I would share with my daughter who is a runner too. Should I be so lucky to win, you can reach me at bacardimama54@gmail.com

• 4. Andrea McHugh  |  October 25, 2013 at 9:30 am

You’re entered!

• 5. Jennifer  |  October 20, 2013 at 9:28 pm

Love Twistbands! Thanks for the DIY information. Can’t wait to get started making these with my girls!
    Twitter: jenn_RI

• 6. Andrea McHugh  |  October 25, 2013 at 9:30 am

Sweet! You’re entered!

• 7. Melissa Carrier (@Jemstaa)  |  October 24, 2013 at 9:15 pm

These are adorable! I wish my 1.5 yr old had a little more hair for a ponytail but soon enough!
    @jemstaa

• 8. Andrea McHugh  |  October 25, 2013 at 9:30 am

Soon enough! You’re entered!

• 9. Mary Larsen ⚓ (@Mary__Larsen)  |  October 25, 2013 at 9:49 am