Boots Made for Walking…In This Mess

January 6, 2014 at 9:10 am 12 comments

Anyone else feel like they’ve been floating in a vortex of seemingly endless Saturdays? For those lucky enough to be coming off an extended holiday stretch, welcome back to reality. It’s a challenging adjustment to say the least. The new year came in with a blast–an arctic blast, and while the streets of Newport are navigable, the great melt is underway with slushy sidewalks and watery routes just about everywhere. Rather than muck up your favorite shoes, it’s time to count on some trusty boots. But even Jackie O knew that fashion and function don’t have to be mutually exclusive:

Image

Darling, it’s snowed! Grab your top hat and my muff and we’ll stroll!

Personally, I love my Hunter Wellies in traditional green. They’re versatile and virtually indestructible (average $140):

Image

Which haven’t changed much in decades and are fit for a princess:

Image

But I’ve been crushing on Sorel boots lately that I spotted at Sole Desire in Newport (average $140):

Image

Note: Seam-sealed waterproof construction (with faux-fur cuff)

And these North Face Jozie Purna Pull-up Boots (waterproof, average: $140). Similar styles at Sole Desire:

Image

For him, this is the Sperry Men’s Adventure Duck Boot I found at Sole Desire. It’s waterproof, has stain resistant leather, thermal insulated lining and  Wave-Siping™ technology which offers wet/dry traction with non-marking lugged rubber outsoles (perfect for boats). Best part? They’re only $100:

Image

So I brought them on The Rhode Show recently and host Meaghan Mooney equally adored them, along with some great dry-weather Frye Boots picks:

Entry filed under: Uncategorized.

New Year’s Eve: Newport Style…Party, Play or Stay & Play Do the Hustle: 70s Style Revisited

• 1. Hannah  |  January 6, 2014 at 10:10 pm

Oh no. Not boots. I love boots. My closet is full of boots. You taunting boot blogger!

• 2. Andrea McHugh  |  January 7, 2014 at 11:29 am

Ha! I know- I love them too, and have too small of a closet to indulge in all the ones I covet:)

• 3. Chelley / AisForAdelaide  |  January 6, 2014 at 10:15 pm

I’m crushing for Hunter boots!!! They’ve been on my Christmas list for 3 years. *someday*

• 4. Andrea McHugh  |  January 7, 2014 at 11:03 am

They were totally on my Christmas/Birthday/Please Please Please list! Sometimes for special purchases like these I sock away a few bucks a week so I don’t feel so bad about dropping so much at once. $10 a week from now til the end of April will save enough just in time for spring showers:)

• 5. Jodi  |  January 6, 2014 at 11:10 pm

I am still kicking myself for not buying the hunter boots at the nordstrom rack when I saw them! Sigh. oh well maybe next time! I love them too – they are timeless.

• 6. Andrea McHugh  |  January 6, 2014 at 11:30 pm

Hunter Boots on sale?! Grab ’em and run next time, girlfriend!

• 7. Andrea McHugh  |  January 7, 2014 at 11:02 am

You found Hunters on sale?!? Lucky ducky! next time, snag those babies!

• 8. Stephanie Kay (@stephmommybrain)  |  January 6, 2014 at 11:38 pm

Is there every a wrong time to buy boots? I think not!!

• 9. Andrea McHugh  |  January 7, 2014 at 11:01 am

I like the way you think!!!

• 10. Shell  |  January 7, 2014 at 10:53 am

Love them! That’s one thing that’s so great about living here, in CA you just couldn’t wear your boots for very long, or at least I couldn’t. It wasn’t cold long enough!

• 11. Andrea McHugh  |  January 7, 2014 at 11:01 am

Oh to trade boots for bikinis this time of year! I lived in Pacific beach for sometime, and at least the Hunter’s come in handy during “June gloom,” when it actually sprinkled there!

• 12. The Queen ⚓ (@tqote)  |  January 7, 2014 at 12:46 pm

Oh I so needed this! I am looking for a new pair of warm winter boots and the Sorels are JUST what I have been searching for – I might be crushing on them more than you!