Do the Hustle: 70s Style Revisited

January 13, 2014 at 9:48 am 10 comments

ImageOver the Christmas holidays, I was able to hit the theater to catch American Hustle, the story of con man Irving Rosenfeld  who became entangled in a world where mafia rule and political ambition intersect. Newly minted Golden Globe winner Amy Adams, who plays and Rosenfeld’s partner Sydney Prosser, has a vintage wardrobe that is nothing short of enviable, and it doesn’t stop there. Her locks embrace iconic 70s styling embracing everything from cascading pageant waves to tight curls, not to mention Jennifer Lawrence’s bouffant up-do (and that’s just the ladies–Christian Bale plays Rosenfeld, who’s insane comb-over has a story line all it’s own).

ImageCostume designer Michael Wilkinson pulled slinky dresses with plunging necklines, original vintage Diane von Furstenberg wrap dresses, head-turning Halston blouses, Gucci bags and must-have oversized vintage Christian Dior sunglasses.

Image

Head to toe: Dior sunglasses, Halston dress, Gucci bag. Groovy.

Image

For Jennifer Lawrence’s character, Rosalyn, sports a memorable Retro Glam Updo as seen above. Here’s a how to from the team at Salon Capri on Newbury Street in Boston, where the majority of American Hustle was filmed (playing the part of Philadelphia)

1.          Apply a coat of  Kerastase Fibre Architect* to entire hair to start. Next, create a deep angled side part

2.          Curl entire head using a 1″ curling iron or flat iron, in 1″sections. Be sure to keep all curls tight and intact. Use hairspray to lock in the curls.

3.          Separate hair into 2 sections front to back. Spray another coat of hairspray for hold.

4.          Take a small portion of the front of the hair and apply another coat of Kerastase Fibre Architect* to smooth hair and minimize flyaways. This will create the swoop ‘bangs’ in the front.

5.          Take 2″ sections of hair and backcomb (tease) until desired volume. Take each section, twist & pin on the top of the head using bobby pins.

6.          Continue teasing, twisting and pinning each section until all hair is pinned up. Finish with another coat of hairspray for hold. (*Kerastase Fibre Architect is a strengthening serum conceals split ends and gives hair the sheen and softness. If you favor another similar product, go for it.)

ImageImitating some of these looks is absolutely doable as local consignment shops like Wish, Epoch and Closet Revival, plus those in Providence like Second Chance Around on Thayer. For example, I has spotted this amazing gold jumpsuit at Wish not too long ago that screamed “70s chic.” Half the fun is finding both authentic and vintage inspired pieces that you wouldn’t find anywhere else. Happy hunting~

photos: Annapurna Productions LLC/Columbia Pictures

Entry filed under: Uncategorized.

Boots Made for Walking…In This Mess Ice, Ice, Baby: Behind the Crystal Curtains at Swarovski Headquarters

• 1. The Queen ⚓ (@tqote)  |  January 14, 2014 at 1:57 pm

I loved everything about those wrap dresses with the plunging necklines. I wasn’t old enough then, so I wouldn’t mind if we revisited those now that I am!

• 2. Andrea McHugh  |  January 15, 2014 at 8:23 am

Ditto!

• 3. Michele C.  |  January 14, 2014 at 2:29 pm

LOVE the 1970s style! I wish I had saved a pair of boots I had salvaged from my parents’ basement when I was a teen, they would be PERFECT now! I can’t quite do the necklines and be decent with this pair of melons, but LOVE the hairstyles and fab bags.

• 4. Andrea McHugh  |  January 15, 2014 at 8:23 am

Bummer! I remember a black plunging neckline jumpsuit my mom had and I cut it up as a kid playing ‘fashion show!’

• 5. joyada464  |  January 14, 2014 at 7:43 pm

I love everything about this post- I could totally rock a low plunge neckline!

• 6. Andrea McHugh  |  January 15, 2014 at 8:21 am

Love it!

• 7. MamaLuvsBooks  |  January 15, 2014 at 12:11 am

I love the style of her dresses! I couldn’t pull them off, but I like them!!!

• 8. Andrea McHugh  |  January 15, 2014 at 8:21 am

The costume designer had to have used a few rolls of “boob tape!”

• 9. Stephanie Kay  |  January 16, 2014 at 10:34 pm

She looks amazing! After five kids I’m pretty sure a plunging neckline would be a comedy on me. 🙂

• 10. Andrea McHugh  |  January 23, 2014 at 10:36 pm

You’re too funny! Hello, double-sided tape:)