Posts tagged ‘Newport Rhode Island’
- Rooftop Yoga (8:00 AM) – Practice yoga on the rooftop of Vanderbilt Grace with the fabulous Meredith Nordhem Ewenson
- Balance Before Burnout Wellness Workshop (9:30am) – An hour and a half class offered at Vanderbilt Grace with Melissa Kitchen
- King Park Wellington Paddle around Goat Island (10am) – Offered at leisure by Newport SUPper Club
- Creative Dance for Children (11:30am) – 45 minute dance class for children at Vanderbilt Grace with Revka Hovermale
- Balance Before Burnout Wellness Workshop (2pm) – An hour and a half class offered at Vanderbilt Grace with Melissa Kitchen
- Organic Wine & Cheese Tasting (4-7pm) – Presented by Newport Wine Cellar & Gourmet . Stop in and try some of the best clean wines and cheeses!
- Rooftop Yoga (11pm) – Vanderbilt Grace will offer yoga on the roof and bubbles to close the day with Meredith Nordhem Swenson
There are a ton of Halloween parties on the calendar Saturday night in Newport so why not dress up to get in the spirit with a easy, fun costume?
3. Betty, Joan, or Peggy from Mad Men: Go to Closet Revival on Broadway- they can make this happen in a snap! Consider a headpiece as well! The same concept works for a 4. Stepford Wife costume- a great group costume!
It’s Brahmin Tent Sale time! Today through Sunday, Brahmin’s Fairhaven, MA outlet pops up a huge tent filled with handbags up to 75% off. I checked it out last year and there were some amazing bags, and equally entertaining to see ladies with stacks of handbags hanging from their arms! (The outlet is located at 77 Alden Rd., Fairhaven, MA, 02719. Sale hours are today and tomorrow 9-6, Sunday Sept. 16 10-5pm.)
Closer to home, Jason & Co. on Thames Street is having a Pandora event today through Sunday. Receive a Pandora clasp bracelet (a $65 value) with your purchase of $100 or more of Pandora jewelry. Jason & Co. is located at 182 Thames Street.
As the sun begins to set just a little bit earlier and the mornings grow increasingly cooler, hints of fall are evident throughout Newport, and while the blue blazer (for him and her) is stylish here any time of year, right now it’s just about ideal. Styled with rolled up sleeves to show just a swathe of sassy lining, buttoned up for a more conservative take or combined with layers, it’s the perfect polished go-to. I spotted some excellent blazers, in blue as well as other colors and patterns, for him at The Narragansett and Michael Hayes, for her at J. Crew and for both at Closet Revival, Banana Republic (below) and Brooks Brothers Country Club store.
Even though the calendar says there are more than two weeks of summer ahead, this past holiday weekend marked the unofficial end of Newport’s busiest season. It leaves fashionistas in a style limbo of sorts—crisp, white linen pants seem a thing of the past but the cowl neck sweaters and woolen tights are still tucked neatly in storage.
Don’t despair—knee-high boot time is near. Until then, summer dresses with jewel tone color palates can enjoy an extended shelf life when layered with a cardigan and lighter tops can be paired with darker denim. Also look to transition with accessories. Cross-body bags are a huge fall trend, channeling the structured styles of decades ago. I’ve spotted plenty in Newport’s boutiques (like J. McLaughlin and some gently used designer bags at Wish) as well as at the local TJ Maxx and Marshall’s. (The cross-body above is from J. Crew.)
STYLEPHILE READERS: Apologies for the delayed post–there were a few technical issues over the weekend!
Alexa Chung, Emma Stone and Kristen Bell sporting crossbody bags. (Credit: MTV.com). Pictured top left: J. McLaughlin Sloane crossbody bag, originally $228, on sale right now for $69.90. CLICK HERE.)
Collecting a half dozen pairs of shoes for this morning’s Rhode Show gave me an exciting preview of some sassy shoes for great fall looks. I found (and featured) the Persia Tied Mary Jane dress shoes with metallic reptile-embossed leather at Rockport, which is also having an amazing sale right now. The style also comes in beet, all black, black with gold trim, nude and leopard, and all feature adidas adiPRENE® shock absorbing technology, so they’re 4” high but altogether comfortable ($140).
The Presia Zip Shootie by Rockport in leopard also promises to be one of the line’s most popular this season, and it’s easy to see why (also comes in black with gold trim):
There’s also a ton of edgy boots including the Tundra boot by Matt Bernson from Michael Hayes in Newport:
See these and a few more fall shoes on this morning’s Rhode Show!
Nautical rope accessories have long been ubiquitous in Newport—belts, bracelets, key chains, dog leashes, trivets, placemats (try Scrimshanders for the latter two)—and new designs seems to pop up all the time. I found hand-crafted Voyage rope bracelets at Aqua on lower Thames, colorful pieces using premium marine rope. Manufactured in New England and launched in 2011, the bracelets (they also make belts, dog leashes and key fobs) have an inspiring story you can read about here. With a portion of Voyage profits donated to ALS/Lou Gehrig’s disease charities, the line is fashionable and philanthropical all at once. Pieces range from $8-$68.
Voyage bracelets can be found at Aqua, located at 468 Thames Street in Newport.